Friday, February 23, 2007

Gong Xi Fa Cai in Jebatville: Dancing with Lions

Tung!Tung!Tung! Cheng!
That loud drum beat and cymbal clashing time had arrived again.
The lions were taken out from their hiding. Their furs combed and skin polished. drums and cymbals were fine tuned.
Its CNY or Imlek as the called it in Indonesia.
I was always fascinated by the Lion dance. The agility and ability of the lions performing the jumps and kicks kept me rooted despite the loud and deafening drums and the high pitched cymbals.Maybe because I saw lots of kung fu flicks during my SAHC days( with Kri Mugem).
Eyes of the Lions
During this Imlek, I followed 3 troupes with my kapchai. 2 finished their round when I spotted them. But the 2nd day I had my luck. A troupe came to Durian Tunggal. Wow! I had the whole hour absorbing the noise and feasting optically the dance of the White and Black Lions.
Hope you guys enjoy these photos.


2 lions trying to outdo each other

Kitaro's protege?

"Wey! Where my angpau maa...."

Cheng!Cheng!

Drummers

Lion waiting for ang pau from shop owner

Exhausted Lion

The Black Lion showing its skill

The White Lion awaiting ang pau
(all photos by tokasid)
Kandungan posting mungkin ada kena mengena atau tidak dengan makhluk yang hidup atau yang telah tiada.Kalau sapa-sapa terasa nak buat macamana kan. Sapa makan cabai melaka dia pedaih laa

5 comments:

k.d said...

Tokasid should have taken video..coz I too like to watch Lion dance.

My dad from Melaka, tapikan..tak pernah nak venture jalan-jalan tengok Melaka history. Now looking at your photos it's actually like it's out of this world.

tokasid said...

k.d.: TQ doc for visiting.Did took video but due to flare(optical noise),tak berapa cantik and bcoz I was very near the lions,their robust movements made everything out of focus. Lagi pun belum reti nak guna you tube for video( InsyaALLAH akan try bila-bila).

Melaka kalau nak tengok historical sites kena jalan kaki ,relax-relax baru dapat cari dan jumpa tempat2 yg menarik dan unik.I just parked my kapchai and strolled kat Jonker street area baru nampak bangunan dan rumah2 lama yg cantik and antik. Kalau kita drive kereta memang tak nampak punya.
Nanti bila ada time saya nak pi cari masjid-masjid lama Melaka pula.

Clark Gable of Pulau Duyong said...

Dear Tokasid,
TAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENGTAKTAKCHENG......tak tak atak...jage kau

tokasid said...

Dear CGOPD: I know of a Chinese man(elderly) who his doctor said had Enlarged prostate. During the lion dance his tune was: TAKTAK KENCING!TAKTAK KENCING!TAKTAK KENCING!

Clark Gable of Pulau Duyong said...

Tokasid,
That the sound of Rodat dance from Trg