SAHC was initially set up in 1908 and called the Govt English School(GES). Its first building was an old wooden building which was the office of Menteri Besar Wan Md Saman situated between the Balai Nobat and Supreme Court. The first Master was Mr.Mohamad Iskandar, a senior teacher from Penang Free School PFS. He was requested to Kedah to start of GES, the first English school in Kedah( during this time Kedah was still under the Siamese govt). Mr Mohamad Iskandar was the father of our former PM, Tun Dr Mahathir.
School finally started on 8th December 1908( after trying to convince the Malays which refuse due to fear of Christianity) and Mr M.Iskandar was the HM until 1910 after which he resigned due to misunderstanding with the Education Dept( he went back to PFS) and his assistant Mr. Md Salleh became HM.
The present buildings were built at Tanjong Bendahara in 1915 and completed in 1916. It was formally opened om 1st January 1917 with Mr EAG stuart as the HM( and concurrently the Superitendant of Education. )
Name change: 25th October 1935 GES was officially changed to Sultan Abdul Hamid College(SAHC).
Due to increasing enrollment and students came from outside Alor Setar, a hostel was bulit in August 1928 and was ready in Jan 1930.
Assembly Hall main entrance( view from SK Iskandar)